Last week I turned 24 and, although I’m the baby of the office, family and most of my friendship groups, I have mixed feelings about leaving 23 behind.
There’s something ‘adult’ to me about 24 (apparently starting my own business and moving out of my parents’ house doesn’t already make me one) and that got me thinking about some of the things I’ve learnt over the last year. Here goes…
- To say no – to events I don’t want to go to, projects I don’t want to take on, the list goes on and it feels so good.
- Reading can be fun – see my favourite non-fiction reads.
- How to fry an egg – I know, shocking at my age but better late than never, right?
- Change is a good thing – I got a new job and a new home this year and both of them are pretty great.
- Boys are messy – and I now live with one. It’s a good job I’m the tidiest person on the planet.
- To stop spending money on things I don’t need – I can’t remember the last time I bought a random top I didn’t need. More money for food and books – yay!
- Danish people are really, REALLY nice – one of the most memorable things about our trip to Copenhagen in April.
- Coffee is life – but there is such a thing as too much of it.
- I can pull off trainers – I always associated them with the cool kids but now I wear nothing else.
- I really do only wear black – and people love to point it out.
- My whole life fits into 7 IKEA drawers – not sure whether that’s sad or impressive.
- How to keep plants alive – All 4 house plants still alive and well as I write this post.
- To wear my glasses – I’ve had to wear them since I was 3 years old which kind of made me hate them but they really do make life a lot less fuzzy.
- Friends will always be funny – all 10 seasons are just as good the 79th time around.
- Culottes work for every occasion – literally every single one.
- Your skin isn’t as bad as you think it is – and not one other person has noticed the second head that’s growing on your forehead.
- To meditate – shout out to the Headspace app for this one.
- I don’t need presents – I’d much rather go somewhere or do something to mark an occasion, birthdays included.
- Railcards really are worth it – I put off buying one for so long but I’ve already made my money back.
- The Greatest Showman soundtrack – off by heart.
- To freak out less – thank goodness for my logical, practically horizontal boyfriend.
- How often I pick up my phone – I downloaded an app to monitor my screen time and it’s not ok. Last time I checked, I’d picked it up 57 times before 7pm!
- Pastel highlighters exist – and they are even better than they sound.
- To make notes – of things I’ve achieved/ learned as I go so next time I’m writing this kind of post, it doesn’t take me an age!
What are some of the things you’ve learned this year?